Thursday, October 17, 2013

House of Love Mini Shadowbox (eP)


Hi there. Quite some time ago I bought these lovely little Prima wooden houses from eclectic Paperie. I have been using the little icons in various mixed media and altered art projects ever since but I kept coming back to the idea that the little wooden box they came in (4.25 inches square x .5 inches deep with 9 cubbies) would make a lovely shadow box.


When I saw the fabulous Catherine Scanlon Designs Hope, Inspire, Dream, Love stamp set in the eP store, I knew I'd found just what I wanted  to complete the vision in my head.


 I printed each stamp using Ranger Archival Jet Black ink and coloured them with the brightest Prismacolor pencils I own. I used the same palette on each stamp, making sure that I featured some black spaces on each. Using a white gel pen, I added dots somewhere on each design, usually on the black but sometimes over another colour depending upon the design.


I wanted the stamped inserts to be a bit larger in the cubbies so I auditioned various colours of matting. All of them seemed to take away from the designs until I remembered an inchie checkerboard border stamp from Lockhart Stamp Co. which I had in my stash. I used the same Jet Black Archival ink to stamp these borders trimmed them next to the stamping and adhered the Catherine Scanlon Designs to the frames. They fit perfectly...yay...and did not detract from the designs.

The wooden box was painted with two coats of black gesso and allowed to dry thoroughly. Eight of the twelve designs were chosen and adhered to the cubbies with Scor tape leaving the middle one free.

 One of the Prima wooden houses was coloured with a Cobalt Green (which is really turquoise) Big Brush pen to pick up on the turquoise accent colour found in every image. The house was adhered to the center cubbie with Glossy Accents. The word Love is also part of this stamp set along with three other words. It was stamped in black, cut out and lined on the edges with Black Big Brush pen before it was glued to the house.

I had coloured all twelve of the stamped designs because I was unsure which I would use and I had a plan for the leftovers. I often include a small (2.5 "square) note card when I am swapping with friends or giving a gift. I usually decorate the front quite simply but include a hand coloured inchie as part of the design. That's what I did with the remaining four coloured images. A strip of black and white designer paper was adhered to the right edge and white faux stitching was doodled next to it. The stamped image was bordered with the same Lockhart stamp but then matted in white and turned on point when it was adhered to the black note card. These photos show the colours as they truly appear. I had to wash the colours out slightly on the photos above in order to get the black dividers to show up.



My shadowbox is going to sit on a shelf but a wire or ribbon hanger could easily be added to hang it. I have a few more two row boxes that other wooden icons came in. They might be next...lol. None of them are safe any more. Thanks for visiting today. I am always appreciative of your company and your interest. I am a little slow getting around to everyone's blogs these days because my mom is still in the hospital but I will get there. I wouldn't want to miss anything :D

I am entering this project in the following challenges:
The Crafting Cafe October Challenge ~ Anything Goes
Creative Craft Challenges ~ #21 Anything Goes Blogaversary
Through the Craft Room Door ~ Oct. 15-22 Anything Goes
Artistic Inspirations ~ #63 Anything Goes
613 Avenue Create ~ # 41 Anything Goes

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

Here are links to the eclectic Paperie shop for some of the products I used in this project:

11 comments:

ParkNSlide said...

Loving the vivid colors against the black and those white dots add so much POP. Very reminiscent of Paula Best and Laurel Burch. Just delightful!

Unknown said...

WOW Bonnie, how brilliant is this project, love the black, against those bold colours, xxx

Cards by Ziggy said...

WOW what a fab project
Thanks for joining us at Artistic Inspirations this week.

Zoe DT member

Redanne said...

Your colouring is outstanding Bonnie, I just love those gorgeous vibrant colours, your shadowbox is an absolute delight and your notecards are so beautiful. I love your work! Hope your Mum is improving day by day. Hugs, Anne x

Dawn said...

Superb little shadow box! I love the dramatic colours!
Thanks for sharing with us at The Crafting Cafe this time!
Good Luck
Hugs
Dawn xx

~ginny said...

Your colors are absolutely lush! And what a creative display they make. The black sets them off so perfectly of course. Hope you don't have ground tremors up there - Calif. is not exactly known for it's stability and I worry about having the box sit on a shelf.... oh, nevermind! I went back and checked the size and it is smaller than it looks! LOL! Hope you are getting the rest you need!
~ginny

Chana Malkah said...

Hi, Bonnie! Your work is beautiful! I love the vibrant colors against the black background. Great job as always! Thanks for leaving this on our doorstep here at 613 Avenue Create!
Hugz,
Chana, Owner

Marlene Atkinson said...

a beautiful project. Thank you for joining us at The Crafting Cafe. Marlene DT

Jo Ann said...

That shadowbox is gorgeous and full of bright colors. I love it! Glad you joined the fun at our neighborhood---613 Avenue Create. God bless!

JO ANN
http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Wonderful project.Thank you for joining us at Artistic Inspiration with our anything goes challenge hugs Tania (DT) xx

Kraftyscot (Donna) said...

Fabulous projects Bonnie...thanks so much for joining us over at Artistic Inspirations!
Hugs Donna DT xx