Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Shattered


The East Wind Facebook Contest theme right now is Out of the Norm which inspired a journal spread that for me is just that. Instead of a watercolour or painted background which I usually create, I chose to use patterned paper and stamp right on top of it. I chose a mottled greeny/blue paper which had a few gold highlights and adhered it to the double page spread in my Dylusions journal. Galaxy Gold Brilliance ink was stamped onto the background using a circles stamp. Text and Crackled Marble stamps were also added with Memento Bamboo Leaves and Teal Zeal, rolling them onto the paper for random imperfect stamping.




Because I wanted the spread to convey both how shattered and broken Lucy Loo felt as well as her incredible strength of which she may not be aware, I decided to add black cardstock embossed with a Sizzix Riveted Metal plate. To me, this shows the strength of metal which has been patched back together and becomes stronger than before...just like Lucy can be. I highlighted the embossing by applying Renaissance and White Fire Treasure Gold, Treasure Silver,  and Treasure Bronze, all gilt waxes, to the background with my finger. I love the richness and age this gives to the simple black cardstock. These pieces were torn and adhered to the background in 4 places.


I coloured The East Wind's image, Lucy Loo Love Me, with my Prismacolor pencils. To make reference to the idea that she was feeling shattered, I decided to cut her into fragments and adhere them to black cardstock with narrow spaces between them. The problem was that she was so pretty that I had to really convince myself to cut her up.


However, the theme is out of the norm and cutting up a freshly coloured image is not something I usually do so I went for it! Yiiikes! I left a narrow border of the black to mat her and popped her up on foam tape, tucking bits of cheesecloth behind her.


The heart is a Paper Artsy stamp which was placed on white cardstock, coloured with Prismacolor pencils, and edged in Black Soot Distress ink. It was also popped up on foam tape and cheesecloth was adhered behind it. I love how banged up it looks and that zipper is cool...and suited the page so well. I like how Lucy is looking toward the damaged heart.


The sentiment was computer generated and printed on kraft which was then torn, inked with Vintage Photo, and doodled on. I wanted the sentiment to be uplifting and encouraging, and to remind Lucy of how truly strong she is...that she has choices.


The lettering for Shattered is Idea-ology Alpha Tiles with white paint dots added. The letters were doodled around and then shaded around with a charcoal pencil. More doodling as well as Black Big Brush pen were added to the outside edges of the spread. The final details added were the screw head brads, resin hand, clock faces and hands, and the key, all of which had meaning for the spread.


Thanks for stopping by today. Lucy and I both appreciate that. Your interest and kind comments are always so welcome! If you get a chance, take a peek at the entries and DT projects  for The East Wind Facebook contest. We would love to have you join us:)

I am entering this project in the following challenges:
MilkCoffee ~ Anything But a Card
Left of Center Creative Challenges ~ #32 Girly
Artbymiran ~ #6 Anything Goes
Come and Get It ~ Lots of Layers
Quirky Crafts ~ #11 Clocks (It's about quirky time)
Glitter n Sparkle ~ #86 Add some metal
Pile it On ~ #21 Metal
613 Avenue Create ~ #73 Use Metal
Oddball Art Stamp Co ~ Girly and Glam

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

12 comments:

Aileen said...

Brilliant piece of art. Just perfect

Ellis said...

Stunning project and fabulopus layout with all the different details! =)
Hugs, Elenor

Bunny said...

Great coloring and layers. Very artistic. Thank you for joining us at Come And Get It challenges. Bunny- DT

Spyder said...

Brilliant! Love this! Love the layering, the bright colours. .and even the dark shadows which hide even more!

thank you for playing along with Quirky Crafts
Lyn ) ) Quirky DT

Joey said...

Bonnie this is fabulous! striking colours, thanks forjoining us at Art by Mi Ran. Joey x

Unknown said...

This is stunning, so many detail and so creative. I love it :) xx

PennyRae's Mandala Creation's said...

Stunning card. Love how you cut up the image. Thanks for joining us at LOC. PennyRae DT

KT Fit Kitty said...

A very creative and artistic card! I would love to be able to make something like this. Love all the elements and how they tie together. So glad you joined us at Glitter n Sparkle for our Add Some Metal challenge. Wishing you all the best in our prize draw!

KT Fit Kitty
Glitter n Sparkle DT

Rita Edwards - Edwards Design said...

Very pretty! I really love all your colors! Thank you for joining us at Milk N Coffee this week! Hugs, Rita DT

Jo Ann said...

Wonderful mix of colors and unique concept. Thanks for joining us in our neighborhood Challenge at 613 Avenue Create. Have a blessed day!

JO ANN
http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

Sammy said...

This is brilliant! Beautifully done.Thank you for playing along at Milk Coffee this challenge. Sammy-x

maureenjscott said...

Gorgeous Bonnie!!! Love it! What a fabulous project! Thanks for joining our Girly challenge at Left of Center! I hope you will join us At the Movies this fortnight! Mo dt coordinator xxx