Saturday, March 12, 2016

Vintage Style Collage in a Drawer


Hi everyone. Every once in a while, I get the urge to change up some of my home decor items. This week, it was an empty drawer that I have hanging as part of a group of three things in our living room. I had a painted background in there but I was tired of it and it didn't fit the room as well as it used to. Anyway, I decided to cut an insert from chipboard so that I could collage on it and then slide it over the previous insert. I collected a group of papers, ephemera, and embellies plus an old post card image from Steve's Mom's place.


I tore. inked using Vintage Photo and Black Soot Distress inks, and layered text, dotty, and a composite page to cover the chipboard. Then I adhered a piece of piece of crocheted lace to the right side. Two punched and matted photo corners were adhered in the two left corners. The photo image was adhered next and then  a sentiment pre-printed on a label was inked around and tucked slightly under the photo. Two black photo turns were attached with brads to overlap the photo. Two lengths of drywall mesh tape were cut and layered over the photo and the background, visually tying them together. A wood compass embellie along with two vintage buttons (thanks, Gram) were adhered to the top left of the photo.



Two wooden keys were overlapped along the bottom edge of the photo and a burlap flower was placed so that it linked the photo to the lace. The wooden button which was on the flower was removed and replaced with a vintage button. An Idea-ology metal word band was adhered with Scor-Tape and then brads to complete the bottom embellishing. The final steps were to add Vintage Photo and Black Big Brush Pen to the edges, to outline the layers, and to doodle a border before it was popped into the drawer which serves as a frame.


This is the grouping where the collaged drawer hangs. It fits perfectly with the colours and furniture now in the room. Happy Dance! Thanks for visiting today. I'm happy you did that. I have a couple more home decor projects in the works for future posts. One down...many to go :)

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

1 comment:

Teresa said...

What a lovely piece of decor! Love how you assembled the layers together - I look forward to seeing a little more of your home in the future xx