Wednesday, December 07, 2016

I've Got This ~ inspired by a Sandra Caldwell image


Hi everyone! We have a running joke around our place about "YouTube Expertise". Whenever I want to know how to do something, I always check to see if there is a YT video showing how. This works well for some things but as you can imagine, it leaves a few gaps in others where it takes more than a ten minute video to master something. When I saw this fun image by Sandra Caldwell called 957 Ice Skating Girly, I immediately imagined that she had "YouTube Confidence" as she was lacing up her skates for the very first time. Sometimes reality is quite different from the brochure :)


I coloured Girly with a mix of Polychromos and Prismacolor pencils and fussy cut her leaving a narrow white border. She was then matted with black card stock, fussy cut leaving a narrow black border, and popped up on foam tape. The foam tape gives enough dimension that a natural shadow is created behind her.


The background began with a 5.5 x 7 inch piece of blue toned card stock which was part of the packaging for a stencil. I love it when I can recycle and also have part of the work done for me. I applied pattern with three different Viva Las Vegas background stamps (stitching, numbers, triangles) and French Ultramarine Archival Ink.To give Girly a surface on which to skate, I added snowflake washi tape adhered to white card stock along the bottom of the page. Two more fishtail flags were cut from the same washi tape and added to the right side to continue that snowflake pattern. White die cut snowflakes were adhered around Girly.


The sentiment was printed on white card stock and the words were cut out individually. Black Card stock was used to mat them before they were popped up with foam tape. A simple border was doodled around the outside edges of the page and Black Big Brush Pen was used to colour the white edges. To complete the design and frame the page, black card stock was cut to serve as a mat.

Thanks for joining Ice Skating Girly and me today. We are happy that you did. To see more of Sandra Caldwell's Fabulous images, be sure and pop by her Etsy shop, Babycakes Digis and Designs. There are a ton of wonderful images there with new ones added every Monday. In the meantime, I'd better go...I'm sure there's another YouTube video I need to watch :)

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

1 comment:

Deborah Frings said...

This is absolutely fabulous! I love the image and that sentiment goes with it so well! Great work!

You do inspire me and I really must get down to doing some pages - probably next year!!

Thank you. xx