Sunday, December 11, 2016

Joggles Art Dolls Collaboration


Hi everyone! A little while ago, Barb from Joggles emailed me with an idea. Virginia England had created a template for art doll bodies using the small size of head from Joggles/Margaret Applin Designs Fearless Face Stencil System. Barb wondered if the four of us, Virginia, Barb, Margaret, and I) would like to do a joint collaborative post where we posted our own versions.


I was in...she had me at art dolls and the Fearless Face Stencils both of which I love! As a matter of fact, I couldn't stop at just one. I created two with a big list of future art dolls I would like to make. Virginia's template is wonderful and these two inspired me!


For both dolls, I started with the faces because they tend to inform the rest of the design. It's like their personalities emerge and tell me what they want to wear. The blue/green doll's face, whom I think of as an alien from outer space, was created using the small square face and Facial Features 2 stencils. She was stencilled lightly with pencil onto white card stock and then coloured with Prismacolor and Polychromos pencils before being fussy cut and matted with black card stock. The matting both framed and strengthened the individual parts of each doll.


The butterfly doll's face was created by tracing the small round face and Facial Features #4 onto white card stock and colouring it in the same fashion as the first one. It's amazing how the various face shapes and features create completely different looking faces.


I created both of the bodies and head pieces using mop up and gel plate printed papers already in my stash. I always have a stack of these from cleaning off sprayed stencils or my gel plate which I often use to load foam stamps. I added extra texture to the alien's body with Stampotique's Dot Swirl stamp and Manganese Blue Archival Ink as well as Texture Paste scraped through one of the Joggles Punchinella Quintet Stencil designs. Black punched stars were also scattered across her and formed part of her head piece. The rest of it was from a paper where I cleaned off the Star and *** foam stamps when gel printing. Black pen was used to outline some of the design and black enamel dots were also included on the head star and neck. Small brads connected the parts together and allow her to be posed.


Butterfly Girl was given added pattern by pouncing Magenta Hue Archival Ink through Dylusions Diamond of a Border stencil. Again, black pen was used to outline part of this design. Her hat, hands, feet, and the circle on her skirt were created from old book text paper which was previously spritzed with Lindy's Starburst Sprays. The hat band was a left over piece of black card stock which had been stamped with Jurassic Leaf #3 and embossed with white powder. The pompom on the top of her hat is a resin flower. Her skirt was created by folding two pink artificial flowers in half and adhering with Scor tape. The waistband is a length of black and white dotty ribbon. The wings are from an internet butterfly photo which was fussy cut, matted with black, and given Stickles dots. Black faux stitching was doodled with pen and tiny rhinestones added for her buttons.

Thanks so much for popping by today. The Alien and Butterfly Girl appreciate it, too. To see the other fabulous dolls created by Margaret, Barb, and Virginia, be sure to stop by the Joggles blog today. We would absolutely love to see the art doll(s) you create. Barb has made Virginia's template available to everyone. See where your imagination takes you!

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As always Bonnie, your dolls are beautiful! The colors are bright and eye catching and of course, a little black always makes things better!

~ginny said...

Absolutely inspiring Bonnie!! My mind tripped off to possibilities... and that is what art is all about, eh? I love the unification with color of the different backgrounds you rescued from your stash. Very cool indeed!
~ginny
RubberMAD