Monday, January 29, 2018

Joggles Art Journal Adventure - Week 5 (Song Lyrics or Title)


Hi everyone. Is it me or did January fly right by? We are already into Week 5 of the 2018 Joggles Art Journal Adventure and a brand new month starts next week. The prompt which I have chosen for Week 5 is to Include Lyrics from or the Title of a Song. Easy Peasy, right? You would think so but I had a hard time narrowing my choices down to just one...I was all over the place with ideas. I finally settled on an old James Taylor song called Shower the People.


I worked on one of the 6 x 6 watercolour pages from my Joggles disc-bound journal. Next time, the size will be different. I must say, I am loving the smaller size I have chosen this year and the disc bound journals with the removable pages are awesome. In keeping with the music theme, I adhered vintage music paper to the watercolour substrate using Matte Medium,,,and then promptly began covering it all up...LOL. I drybrushed white acrylic paint over the top of the music notes and then used Neocolor II watercolour crayons in 2 shades of blue and 2 shades of green to add colour. A wet brush was used to activate the ink. When that was dry, I decided that the sky colour was more intense than I wanted so I used watered down white gesso to knock back the blues. Manganese Blue Archival Ink was used to stamp apply Carabelle Studio Quadrillages Texture stamp here and there on the sky. Ranger Texture Paste was scraped through Kaisercraft Dots and Dashes Mini stencil on both the sky and the grass and, once dry, those lines and dots were accented on one side and underneath using Inktense pencils and a water brush.


I wanted a big puffy cloud at the top of the page to rain hearts over my focal images so I hand cut one from white bristol paper. The edges were inked first with Cool Gray  and then black Big Brush pens. A very pale pink acrylic paint was used to shade the bottom edge of the cloud and then to stencil the bottom half through the dots on the Joggles Punchinella Quintet stencil to add a little more whimsy to my happy cloud. The folds from the puffy lumps were smudged with a graphite pencil and a blending stump before the lines were inked in with a Pitt Pen. The cloud was popped up using foam tape.


The two friends are Stampingbella images by Danielle Donaldson. The one on the left is called almost ella and the one on the right is mostly naomi. They were stamped onto white cardstock using Jet Black Archival ink and then coloured with a mix of Prismacolor and Polychromos pencils with a little white paint pen added for some highlights. I love colouring! They were fussy cut leaving a narrow white border and then fussy cut a second time once they were matted with black cardstock. They were adhered to the background with foam tape to create a natural shadow behind them.

Two sizes of hearts were punched from a previously gel printed paper and each heart was edged with Middle Purple Pink Big Brush Pen. They were then glued in place around Naomi and Ella so that they looked like they were falling from the cloud. Black Pitt Pen dashed lines were used to show the movement of them  showering the friends with love. A solid wonky black border was doodled around the page and white paint pen dots added on top. Dots always say whimsy and playfulness to me. The lyrics from the James Taylor song were printed onto white cardstock and then cut apart into segments. These were matted with black cardstock and popped up on foam tape. The edge of the page was inked with black Big Brush Pen and the strip of real estate between the edge of the page and the doodled border was darkened with Inktense pencils activated with a water brush.

And that's it for my response to the AJA prompt, Include Song Lyrics or a Song Title on your page. Thanks so much for joining us today. I hope you will join us this time for Week 5's prompt on the Joggles AJA Facebook group. There is the most wonderful, talented and friendly collection of people who play along each week...inspiration and friendship galore.

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

No comments: