Monday, March 05, 2018

Joggles Art Journal Adventure ~ Week 10 prompt~ the letter S


Hi everyone! It's Week 10 in the Joggles Art Journal Adventure and it's my turn to choose the prompt. This week, I have chosen the letter S. There are so many ideas for this one: stencils, stamps, sprays, not to mention all those techniques and items that start with S. Or maybe you'd prefer an idea like Simple, Special, or Stupendous...LOL. The Sky is the limit (see what I did there?). I chose sunshine because lately that has been in short supply with lots of rain and snow. I decided that if I can't feel the sunshine on my face, I can simply provide my own to lift my mood.


The background for this page is a 6 x 6 inch watercolour page in my disc bound journal. I smushed two colours of blue Distress Oxides (broken China & Salty Ocean) onto my craft sheet and spritzed with water. Then I began picking up the layers of blue, drying in between each dip into the inky puddles. I kept building up layers until I was happy with the depth of colour and the pattern of splotches. For my last layer, I spritzed the ink already there with Heidi Swapp Ocean Color Shine just to add a different tone and opacity to the mix. Once the background was dry, Manganese Blue Archival Ink was applied to Paper Artsy Splotches Mini Stamp in several places to create a dotty textured effect.


Ranger Texture Paste was scraped through TH Rays Layering Stencil to create the sun's rays in the direction she would be facing. Once dry, two colours of yellow acrylic paint were applied to the raised areas using a brush. Once that was dry, Iris Blue Inktense Pencil was applied with a waterbrush to the bottom of each ray to create a shadow and add dimension. Icicle Stickles was added to the top of each ray with my finger and then patted between the rays with a heavier concentration near where the image would be placed.


To create the background for the stamped Laurel Burch Sister Sun image, Yellow Rose of Texas Lindy's Starburst Spray was spritzed over mixed media paper. Stamperia Wall Effect stencil was placed over that and Marigold Yellow Orange was spritzed through the openings to create a shimmery lightly patterned background. Once it was dried thoroughly, Jet Black Archival Ink was used to stamp the sun image on the stencilled and sprayed background. Additional shading and highlighting was done using Prismacolor and Polychromos pencils. Sister Sun was then fussy cut, matted with black, and fussy cut again. Foam tape was used to pop her up, adding dimension and a natural shadow.


The sentiment was printed onto white cardstock and cut into individual words. These were matted with black and popped up on foam tape before being adhered between the rays. Black Big Brush Pen was used to edge the page and create a frame for the page. A simple line border was added to further emphasize the frame idea.

Thanks for joining Sister Sun and me today. We are delighted that you did. With so many possible ideas for S pages, I am excited to see what our wonderful Art Journal Adventure Facebook community create. The shared pages are sure to be diverse, inspirational, and creative...they always are!

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

No comments: